Herb garlic roast chicken is a classic and flavorful dish that’s perfect for a comforting family dinner or a special occasion. Here’s a simple recipe to make herb garlic roast chicken:
- 1 whole chicken (about 4-5 pounds)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, or a mix), chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped into large chunks
- 2 celery stalks, chopped into large chunks
- 1 lemon, halved
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Prepare the Chicken:
- Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Season the Chicken:
- In a small bowl, mix minced garlic, chopped herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to create a herb garlic marinade. Rub this mixture all over the chicken, including under the skin.
- Stuff the Chicken:
- Place the quartered onion, chopped carrots, chopped celery, and halved lemon inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Tie the Legs:
- If the chicken has legs with a pop-up timer, tuck them under the band of skin or tie the legs together with kitchen twine to help the chicken cook evenly.
- Roast the Chicken:
- Place the roasting pan in the preheated oven. Roast the chicken for about 20 minutes per pound, plus an additional 15 minutes. Baste the chicken with its juices every 30 minutes.
- Check for Doneness:
- To ensure the chicken is fully cooked, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. It should reach 165°F (74°C) in the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone.
- Rest the Chicken:
- Once done, remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for about 15 minutes before carving. This allows the juices to redistribute, keeping the chicken moist.
- Carve and Serve:
- Carve the chicken and serve it with the roasted vegetables and pan juices.
- Garnish (Optional):
- Garnish with additional fresh herbs before serving if desired.
Enjoy your delicious herb garlic roast chicken with the wonderful aromas of fresh herbs and garlic. This recipe is versatile, and you can adjust the herbs and seasonings to suit your taste preferences. It pairs well with a variety of side dishes, such as roasted potatoes, steamed vegetables, or a fresh green salad.