Certainly! Here’s a simple recipe for Kala Chana Dry, a delicious and nutritious dish made with black chickpeas. This dish is commonly prepared in Indian cuisine.
- 1 cup kala chana (black chickpeas), soaked overnight
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Prepare the Kala Chana:
- Rinse the soaked kala chana under running water.
- In a pressure cooker, cook the kala chana with enough water and a pinch of salt until they are soft. It usually takes about 3-4 whistles.
- Drain any excess water and set aside.
- Cooking the Dry Kala Chana:
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until they become golden brown.
- Add Aromatics:
- Add chopped green chili and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until the raw smell disappears.
- Spice it Up:
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. Mix well and cook for another minute.
- Add Tomatoes:
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and the oil starts separating from the masala.
- Combine with Kala Chana:
- Add the cooked kala chana to the masala mixture. Mix well, ensuring the chickpeas are coated with the spices.
- Adjust Seasoning:
- Adjust salt and spice levels according to your taste. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Garnish and Serve:
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve the dry kala chana hot. It pairs well with rice, roti, or as a side dish.
Enjoy your delicious and protein-packed Kala Chana Dry!