If you’re looking for a quick and easy last-minute plum cake for Christmas, you can try this simplified recipe. While traditional fruitcakes benefit from longer soaking and aging, this version aims to capture the essence of a festive plum cake without the extended preparation.
Quick Last-Minute Christmas Plum Cake
- 1 cup mixed dried fruits (raisins, currants, chopped dates, etc.)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc.)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line a cake pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare the Fruits:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the mixed dried fruits and orange juice. Microwave for 1-2 minutes until the fruits absorb some of the liquid. Allow it to cool.
- Mix Dry Ingredients:
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Cream Butter and Sugar:
- In a separate bowl, cream together the softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Eggs and Vanilla:
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients:
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Add Fruits and Nuts:
- Fold in the soaked dried fruits and chopped nuts into the batter.
- Adjust Consistency:
- If the batter is too thick, add milk gradually until you achieve a dropping consistency.
- Pour into Pan:
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and Serve:Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Optional: Dust with Powdered Sugar
- Once cooled, you can dust the top with powdered sugar for a festive touch.
This quick and easy plum cake captures the spirit of Christmas without the lengthy preparation. Serve it as a delightful treat for your festive celebrations!