Absolutely, the Scottish Dundee Cake is a classic and festive dessert, perfect for celebrations. Here’s a traditional recipe to help you make this rich and flavorful cake:
Scottish Dundee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (for coating fruits)
- 2 cups mixed dried fruits (raisins, sultanas, currants, candied peel)
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, whole or chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam or marmalade (for glazing)
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (163°C). Grease and line an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare Dried Fruits:
- In a bowl, toss the mixed dried fruits with 1 tablespoon of flour. This helps prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake during baking.
- Cream Butter and Sugar:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Eggs:
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine Dry Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add Dry Ingredients:
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Add Fruits and Nuts:
- Fold in the mixed dried fruits, blanched almonds, lemon zest, and orange zest.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1.5 to 2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, cover it with foil.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Warm the apricot jam or marmalade in a small saucepan. Strain to remove any pieces.
- Brush the top of the cooled cake with the warm jam for a glossy finish.
- Once the glaze has set, slice and serve your delicious Scottish Dundee Cake.
Enjoy the rich, fruity flavors of this traditional Scottish dessert, perfect for any festive occasion!